Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Brandy's Awesome Veggie Tacos

This is the first recipe I personally came up with. That's right, I created this. Yep, feeling pretty good about myself. When I became a vegetarian, I was trying to broaden my food horizons and eat something other than Trader Joe's cream of tomato soup and a grilled cheese. One night I was craving tacos and guacamole, so I looked in my fridge and saw zucchini, red bell peppers, onions, and then I found black beans in my pantry. I've perfected this recipe over the years and eat them once a week. They pair great with guacamole and beer.

On a side note; I'm on a 3 day juice cleanse right now through my friend Jill Latham's juicing business "Vibrant Earth", and today is the first day. While I completely trust Jill and know that on the 3rd day my skin will be glowing and my body will be cleansed of all the toxins, I have to say, I want a fucking sandwich. It's not even really that I'm hungry, because this cleanse has 6 juices in one day and they are actually pretty filling. It's just that I miss food. I miss it so much. I realize through this cleanse that one of the things I miss the most is cooking. I miss preparing food, I miss shopping for food, and I miss snacking while I shop and cook food. I am literally fantasizing about eating food. Like, right now, all I want to do is eat the block of cheese with the half a loaf of french bread I have in my kitchen while drinking wine and making a huge bowl of pasta.

So, while I cannot eat this myself, you can. And I hate you for it. So please, make this. Send me a picture of you eating it. Then come over and food rape me with them and I'll have no choice in the matter. Thanks.

Roasted Veggie Tacos
Serves 2 (I eat both servings. Deal with it)
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
2 small zucchini, diced
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 tbls evoo
1 can black or pinto beans
4 small flour or corn tortillas
3 tbls cumin, divided
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
cilantro
guacamole (recipe follows)

Pre-heat the oven to 450. Put the veggies on a baking sheet and toss with evoo, 2 tbls cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and salt and pepper. Roast for 12 minutes, then flip the veggies and roast for another 10. I like my veggies pretty well done, so use your own judgement. While the veggies are roasting, add the black or pinto beans with their juices into a pot. Add 1 tbls cumin, salt, pepper and the bay leaf and let simmer. Over the open flame on an oven burner, char the tortillas and then wrap them in a clean dishtowel so they stay nice and toasty. To assemble the tacos, put a layer of beans on the tortillas, then a layer of veggies, then cilantro, cheese or sour cream, a thin layer of guacamole, then top with cilantro. I am so jealous/deliriously hungry right now. Give me your food!

Guacamole
3 ripe avocados
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/4 red onion, chopped fine
cilantro, as much as you like
2 limes
1/2 tomato, seeded and chopped
garlic salt- I wish I knew how much I use, but it's by taste. My guess is 2 tbls?
Pepper to taste

In a large bowl, smash the avocados. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir together until nice and creamy and a little chunky. It's amazing. You're welcome.

Now, can you please bring me a fucking sandwich?

2 comments:

  1. this is a true story, i know, i was there and i ate it first hand. actually, this makes me half excited (that i was there) and half nostalgic (that i was there). but i gotta say, you inspired my love for veggie tacos and i've paid it forward and made plenty of other non-veggie lovers into veggie taco believers! preach on brandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your enthusiasm. I'm guessing that was from Kimmie?

    ReplyDelete