Friday, April 29, 2011

Eggcellent Breakfast 'Sandwich'

I know Kate and William got married today but this is more important. I love breakfast. I used to not eat breakfast because I thought that I could save the calories for the rest of the day and cheat the system. I, of course, was wrong and also about 20 pounds heavier when I had that awesome theory.

Every morning I wake up, take my dog for a walk, make a pot of coffee, and make a delicious and healthy breakfast that I eat while admiring Al Roker on the Today Show. I generally eat the same few things for breakfast every week like greek yogurt with berries and walnuts, a slice of whole wheat toast with peanut or almond butter and half a grapefruit, or eggs with kale and feta cheese and a half a grapefruit. But yesterday I was looking in my fridge and wanted something different and also wanted to use up food I had leftover. I had some avocado, black beans, and half a zucchini, so I decided to make a little sandwich. I use the term sandwich loosely because I only use one slice of bread- so it's an open face sandwich. This 'sandwich' is easy and healthy and most importantly, really tasty.

Eggcellent Breakfast Sandwich
One slice of whole wheat bread (if you want to one up me, you can use two and make it a real sandwich)
Avocado, 3 slices
1/4 cup black beans
1/2 a zucchini, chopped really fine
1 tbls diced onion
1 tbls evoo
1 egg
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper

Toast the slice of bread. Meanwhile, heat up the evoo in a small pan and add the onion and cook for a few minutes. Add the zucchini, cumin and salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes. Add the black beans and cook another few minutes. Once the toast is done, put the sliced avocado on it and then spoon the veggie and bean mixture onto the toast, spoon over the salsa, and let sit while you cook the egg. In the same skillet, cook your egg. You can scramble it or fry it, however you like your egg. Top your sandwich with the egg, sprinkle on some salt and pepper and serve. Preferably with berries on the side or half a grapefruit or a coffee with baileys. Whatever. I don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment