Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mexican Kale and Quinoa

I know I just did a kale and quinoa salad recipe, but what can I say? I can't stop. I love kale and quinoa. We're taking a trip to Cabo next week and might share a margarita with one straw.
So anyways, yesterday I went to the farmer's market and got some delicious vegetables and kale, and I always have quinoa in my pantry. It's a good thing I picked up ingredients yesterday, because today I had to wake up super early and take my dog Oliver to the vet for teeth extractions. They had to put him under and everything, and I was so nervous that something was gonna go wrong. I was a wreck. All I did was stare at my phone, pick it up, make sure I didn't miss a call, and then call the vet to make sure they didn't call me. Needless to say, I was preoccupied today. When I got home from my run, I realized I hadn't even thought of what to have for dinner- so I looked in my fridge and saw a bunch of delicious veggies and some kale, then I saw some quinoa I'd made earlier in the week, a jar of salsa and some tapatio. So I decided to see how it would turn out, and I licked my plate. For real. I took my finger, swiped it along the plate, and put it in my mouth. Like a fourth grader. So- make this with any combination of vegetables you have, or follow my recipe exactly. Happy eating!

This yields one serving- Double it if you'd like more!

2 cups kale- stemmed, rinsed, and chopped
1/2 cup quinoa
1 zuchinni
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper
1/4 onion
1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped
1/2 avocado, diced
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
3 tbls evoo, divided
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup salsa
salt and pepper

If you don't have any leftover quinoa, just cook it in vegetable broth according to the directions on the box. Meanwhile, add 1 tbls evoo in a large pan and add the kale. Cook on medium low, covered, stirring around occasionally. While the kale and quinoa cook, add 1 tbls evoo in a small pan and add the onion, cook on medium low until soft. Then add your chopped veggies and the spices and cook. Check the kale, and once it's wilted, turn of the heat and keep covered. Cook the veggies until they're nice and tender and browned. Once they're cooked, about 7-10 minutes, add in black beans, another pinch of cumin, salt and pepper, and then mix together. Add the veggie and bean mixture to the kale and add in the quinoa as well. Pour in the 1/2 cup salsa, a splash of hot sauce, and salt and pepper and mix well. Pour onto a plate, top with avocado (and cheese if you have some), and serve. To yourself...

Yum.

1 comment:

  1. I have never had kale or quinoa... I really want to try this so again, I will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete