Friday, March 11, 2011

Yeah, but....


One of the most common questions I get asked from non vegetarians is, "yeah, but where do you get your protein?" Meat eaters really think the only source of protein is from meat, and you can't blame them, that's what they know. I'm a runner, and protein is really important to my body and I need to eat a diet high in protein. How do I do that without chicken breasts? It's easier than you think. Now, I haven't been completely honest with you, I'm a known liar. I eat seafood. You're probably thinking, well then you're not a vegetarian. You're right, I'm technically a pescetarian which is a vegetarian who eats fish and other seafood. However no one except pescetarians know what a pescetarian is, and if I refer to myself as a 'pescetarian' I have to explain to confused people and also feel like a real asshole by saying fancy things like 'pescetarian'.
So yes, I eat seafood, but I treat it the same way I'd treat eating meat if I did and the same way I buy my fruits and vegetables. I eat sustainable seafood that I get from sources like Whole Foods or stands at farmer's markets. I only buy seafood that was wild caught and NEVER buy seafood that was farmed and raised. Farming fish doesn't even sound possible, and it kind of freaks me out. I also rarely eat seafood at restaurants unless I know it's wild caught- I guess I have a pretty great advantage living in California by the coast. Oh, and please, never go to Long John Silver's or buy shrimp tacos from Taco Bell. Just don't.

Alright, so protein and other nutrients. Quick side note- I'm not a nutritionist or doctor or expert or anything, I've just done research on where to get all of the nutrients I need. Aside from fish and other seafood like shrimp, I get my protein from varied sources. Beans and legumes like lentils, chickpeas, black beans, edamame are an amazing source of protein- and they're delicious. Beans can be thrown into just about anything. I put them in pastas, burritos, chilis, breakfast scrambles and anything else I can put them in. Also since chickpeas are a great source of protein- that makes hummus high in protein. And delicious. Of course eggs and cheese are great sources, and you can also get protein from brown rice, quinoa (a complete protein) nuts, and even dark leafy greens like kale and swiss chard. There are tricks to getting complete protein found in fish and lean meats- quinoa is one all on its own, but you can also combine peanut butter and whole wheat toast for a complete protein, and black beans and brown rice for a complete protein. See, it's easy. And delicious.

So the next time you run into a vegetarian, don't ask them where they get their protein because they know where to get their protein and how to take care of themselves. We're not hippies who talk to trees and wear dreadlocks and wear hemp. Well, some of us are.

No comments:

Post a Comment