Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Eggs (no ham)

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I'm posting this delicious breakfast recipe because it's green, see? Even though I'm in no way Irish, I will join the rest of the people who celebrate it just to have an excuse to drink. If you want to make this tonight, you could also eat it for dinner if you're the kind of person that doesn't get freaked out by eating breakfast for dinner. I personally can't wrap my brain around eating breakfast for dinner, I get really confused and want coffee and the Today Show on. I'm not very smart. But none the less, this dish has protein, whole grains, calcium, iron, and most importantly, deliciousness.

I only make this dish for myself because I'm lonely... but if you have someone to share this with, just double the recipe.

2 Eggs
1 tbls Extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped kale (any kale you like, I like dinosaur kale)
2 tbls chopped onion
1 tsp cream or milk
4 oz feta cheese- couple of tablespoons, or more if you're me.
sprinkle of crushed red pepper
salt and pepper
1 slice whole wheat bread

Scramble 2 eggs, cream, and salt and pepper. Set aside. Chop up kale and rinse and dry. Chop up the onion and in small skillet, add evoo and the onion and saute until the onion is soft and browning. Add in the kale and saute until the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in crushed red pepper, toss with salt and pepper, and then put the kale mixture on a plate. No need to dirty another pan- just wipe it out with a paper towel, and put back on the burner. Put it on very low heat, and I always either add a little tiny bit of butter or spray of some kind so the eggs won't stick. Add the eggs and scramble until just cooked- don't over cook them. Once they're to your liking, add back in the kale mixture and keep the heat on low. Then, crumble in the feta and melt. Serve with a slice of whole wheat bread, and enjoy!

1 comment: