Saturday, March 26, 2011

Kale and Quinoa salad w/ Cumin lemon vinaigrette

I went to this vegan 'fast food' restaurant, which is an awesome concept- a walk up to order healthy food joint. I wish there were a drive thru though, that way I don't have to end up at In 'N Out for a grilled cheese whenever I'm looking for something fast that doesn't repulse me. The closest one to me is in Westwood, and I'm so sad it's not closer. I would go there every day for this one salad I got last week with a girlfriend. This salad was orgasmic. I wanted to take it on a date and then buy it a condo. All of the components were perfect and it was so delicious. So if you're interested in copying that salad, I highly recommend looking at the website and copying it exactly. I've done that too. This recipe, however, is my adaptation and I love it just as much. (That was a lie). But still, it's really good.

Kale is incredibly healthy and good for you, and there are so many different varieties. I get mine from my farmer's market from Kale Lady, and I usually get a few different kinds. For me, the curly kale is the best for salads. It does have a different, tougher texture than lettuce, but that's one of the things I like about it. Quinoa is also something a lot of people don't know a lot about or eat much of, but it's a grain that is a complete protein and it's really tasty. For vegetarians, I think it should be a staple. So you can change up the ingredients for things you like or have in your cupboard, but here's my recipe, I hope you enjoy it. If not, just go to Native Foods and eat the Ensalada Azteca and all will be right in the world.

For quinoa, follow the instructions on the package, and set aside. Side note- I cook my quinoa in vegetable broth instead of water, gives it oodles more flavor.

Salad
1 cup curly kale, washed, dried and chopped- add more if you want a bigger salad
1/2 cup quinoa
1/4 cup sunflower seeds or pepitas
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped mango
1 small red pepper, sliced
1/2 avocado, diced

Cumin Lemon Vinaigrette
1 tsp cumin (or more if you're a cumin whore like me)
1/2 lemon, juiced
evoo, about 1/4 cup
salt and pepper

In a small bowl, add the lemon juice and cumin and mix together with a whisk. Slowly whisk in evoo until the dressing comes together- add salt and pepper to taste. If it needs more acid, add in more lemon juice. Dressing isn't an exact recipe, I kind of just add what I think it needs. Toss the salad together with as much dressing as you want. I generally use all of it because I love dressing.

Again, if you don't have black beans, add garbanzo instead- or if you don't like sesame seeds use another seed or nut. I hope you like it. If not, just lie to me and tell me you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment